Wednesday, April 20, 2016

All White... well it all started white

 This week's Splitcoaststampers sketch SC589  was a simple sketch.
I don't do simple. It just isn't my style.
The most satisfying cards are ones that started with white cardstock and I'm able to turn them into a beautiful card. All the cardstock on my card started as white.

I decided to make my own background.
Pam and I challenged eachother again. I said we should use stamp products we hadn't used in a long time. I suggested chalks and punches. She suggested dry embossing, lace and inka gold.
I wanted to do something with my chalks that was different than what I had done before. So I went to look at youtube videos. Nope... nothing new. Looks like I'm not alone in not having used them in a long time.
So I just decided to play around. I took a piece of white cardstock. I took a q-tip and "scribbled" with the chalks onto the paper.
 I then took this brick wall stamp from Unity. I stamped it with versamark ink all over the chalk, lining up the edges of the stamp with where I had previously stamped. I then covered it with UTEE and heat embossed.
This is how it looked when I had finished heat embossing it. It looked cool, but I knew I wasn't done.
 I  put the cardstock in my script embossing folder and dry embossed it in my cuttlebug. This is how it looked when I took it out of the embossing folder. Can you see the script embossing?
 I then rubbed inka gold metallic rub over the raised areas. You can see that behind the butterfly in this next photo.
The butterfly was Unity HERE TODAY HERE TOMORROW set. I stamped the butterfly with black stazon ink. I watercolored it and added white acrylic paint to the wings. The body of my butterfly was made with Aleene's tacky glue. When the glue was dry I went over the glue with black fingernail polish.
 For my punch, I decided to use a border punch. I used the border punch behind the chalked- embossed
panel. I also used it on the base of my easel card. I used flower lace with pearls in the center on the top of the card and lace with a string of pearls on the base of the easel card. There is also a layer of cheese cloth.  Brads and a rhinestone butterfly trail finish it off.



I am entering this into:
 Stampin' Royalty SR#326 challenge BUTTERFLIES 

Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge: BUTTERFLY BEAUTY 

Word Art Wednesday's Challenge #226-227 

6 comments:

  1. This absolutely gorgeous! Lots of work, and beautiful results! Well done! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the butterfly on your card, Marilynn. The background is beautiful too! Thanks for entering your card in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sneaking on the wifi at church....shhh...don't tell! Lol. Amazing didn't even begin it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing your "process"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful background you created!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an absolutely beautiful card MariLynn. Love how the background turned out - your use of utee and the embossing is so innovative and impressive!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete